Suspended email address
If CW sends an email to a member's email address and this produces two bounce messages within a 7-day period, then CW marks that email as suspended and stops sending email to that email address.
- The purpose of this feature is to limit and prevent sending email to addresses that bounce. If the percentage of bounced email reaches a certain threshold our email provider will put us on probation, and later will suspend email service, which will affect all CW email being sent.
- Also, if the email address does not function, then the member will not receive any email messages, notifications and broadcast emails sent via CW to that member.
What causes the the CW email to bounce? There are a many possible causes. Here are a few of the most often seen reasons way an email cannot be delivered and is therefore bounced (returned to the sender):
- the email address is misspelled in the members profile in CW
- the member's email inbox is full
- the member has configures an automatic reply (perhaps a vacation notice) that it interpreted as a rejected email message
- the member has forwarded their incoming email to an address that rejects the email
- the member has inadvertently created a circular forwarding loop for their incoming email
- the email server providing the member with email is off line (temporarily or permanently)
- the member's email domain is no longer valid
- for some other reason the CW email was not accepted by the target email server
- for some other reason the CW email could not be delivered to the recipient
If a user's email address is marked as suspended:
- The CW user will see a notification in their status bar their message bar that their email is suspended.
- CW will suspend sending all email to that address. No CW notifications will be sent.
How to remove the suspension?
- Ask the member to check and possibly resolve the issues listed above (if they are the cause).
- Submitting a new email address will also end the suspension and of course, trigger a new email validation request for that email address.
- If, after another 7 days, CW receives no new bounce messages it will withdraw the suspension and will send CW notifications to that member.
When a bounce message is received for a member's email, CW include a message in the next Coordinators Report informing the coordinator about which member account has received how many bounce messages.
TIP: If the cause has been resolved and the same email is to be used, her is a trick that may get rid of the CW suspension. A coordinator can change the member's email address. For example, just add one character to the beginning of the email address (creating a "new" email address) Save it and then immediately edit the members email address again, removing the added character to restore the original email address. Then save it. If it works, the user retains the original email address, but will just have to validate it again. They will be sent a new email validation notification.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the timebank's coordinators to have all of their members enter and confirm a correct and functioning email address in CW.