Select for Action
A coordinator can filter for and select multiple:
- Ads (offers and/or requests)
in order to do an action based upon the selection of members, ads or exchanges.
The Process has three steps
- Use the filter to create a visible list
- Use the "Select members" or "Select Ads" or "Select Exchanges" drop-down list to add them to or remove them from the sticky selection list (this list is not visible).
- Use the "for further action" drop-down list to choose the action to be done with the selected list.
- 1 Step 1 -- Filter for the members, ads, or exchanges
- 2 Step 2 -- Select Members / Ads / Exchanges
- 3 Step 3 -- Take Action on the Selected Items
- 4 See also:
Step 1 -- Filter for the members, ads, or exchanges
Before you select members, ads or exchanges you will need to create a visible list by using the filter function. You can start from the default list or you can create your own filter for a specific purpose.
Step 2 -- Select Members / Ads / Exchanges
At the top of each list page, below the filter choices, you will see a drop-down box titled "Select members" or "Select Ads" or "Select Exchanges". Alternatively, if a selection has already been started, in that box you will see in red the number of members, ads or exchanges that were already selected.
If you see "X members/ads/exchanges selected" in a red font, click on the drop-down arrow and choose "Clear selection." This will clear the sticky selection list and allow you to create a new sticky selection list.
- Clear selection (removes all items from the selected list)
- Add (the items that match the current filter)
- Remove (the items that match the current filter)
You can add or remove multiple filtered results, one after another, to the sticky selection list.
Select or De-select Specific members/ads/exchanges
- Hover your mouse over an item in a list and click to select or de-select it.
- Observe that the leftmost and rightmost vertical bar area changes to the secondary color of your site, if it is selected.
- Also observe that number of the items selected changed
Selections are Sticky!
Items selected will remain selected until you de-select them or clear the list. For details see: Sticky Selection List This is very useful because it enables a coordinator re-use or combine selections.
In order select all members from New York AND all members from San Francisco:
- First observe the number of members selected. If it shows (in red) a number of members selected, choose "Clear selection" from the drop-down list.
- Using the "City" filter choose "New York" to get a list of all members who are from New York. Note the total number of members from New York for this filter result.
- Ad the visible filter result to the sticky selection by selecting "Add X matching members" (from the drop-down list) and observe that the number of members has been selected.
- Using the "City" filter choose "San Francisco" to get a list of all members who are from San Francisco. Note the total number of members from San Francisco. Also note the number of members already selected in the sticky selection list.
- Select "Add X matching members" (from the drop-down list) and note that the number of members selected has increased and is now is equal to the total of the New York and the San Francisco members.
Step 3 -- Take Action on the Selected Items
When one or more item is selected, you can use the for further action drop-down box. By clicking this box the coordinator can choose an action to take using the selected items. Available actions are:
- "Compose a broadcast email" (compose and send an email to selected members)
- "Disable members" (disable selected member's accounts) CAREFUL, this action on multiple members can have serious unwanted side-effects
- "Enable members" (enable selected member's accounts) CAREFUL, this action on multiple members can have serious unwanted side-effects
- "Change permissions" (change coordinator permissions for the selected members) CAREFUL, this action on multiple members can have serious unwanted side-effects
- "Export" (export the member's profile information to a csv 'coma separated value' file which can be read by spread sheet and database programs.