Member privacy settings affects what information is visible
- to visitors to your site who do not have a valid login or password.
- to other members after they login.
The group of users called Everyone is anyone or any computer (meaning search engines) which access your site. Learn more about how visitors are grouped. This would also people who have joined the timebank, have created a login, but are applying members who are not yet approved by the coordinators.
The group of users called Members is all approved members of your timebank after they have logged in. Learn more about how visitors are grouped.
Site Privacy Configuration
There is a site-wide privacy setting, which only Admin Coordinators can change.
When this value is checked
This value is, by default, checked, as it preserves the way that Community Weaver 2 handled privacy. You may wish to keep this value checked if:
- You do not wish to allow members of your TimeBank to expose any information to non-members
- You do not want the content of your TimeBank easily searched using Search engines
How it affects Everyone
- Timebanker's Talents displays nothing more than the number of members visible within each category. Members details are not visible.
- Offer and Request lists display only the title of the offer or request. Offers and Requests details can not be viewed at all.
How it affects Members
- Members are unable to update their privacy settings to include "Everyone" (the "Everyone" option is not visible)
When this value is unchecked
When member privacy is disabled (unchecked), members have the choice to expose profile information to Everyone. You may wish to enable this feature if:
- You want to allow Members to expose their information to non-members (profile, picture, email addresses, telephone, street address, biography, first and last names)
- You want to allow Everyone, including search engines to details of the offers and requests and more details of Timebanker's Talents.
- Privacy is a very important aspect about your site and the decision to expose information to non-members should be taken with care.
- If you allow more access to offers and requests, you might want to review your sites Terms of Service and adapt them to reflect the change in privacy.
What is visible to Everyone
- TimeBanker's Talents displays member information which is visible to Everyone.
- Offer and Request lists display member information which is visible to Everyone, and the body of the offer or request, which is stripped of most phone numbers and email addresses.
- Offer and Request detail pages display member information which is visible to Everyone, and the body of the offer or request, which is stripped of most phone numbers and email addresses.
How it affects Members
- Members are able to update their privacy settings for profile information to visible by "Everyone" (the option is visible)
What's the big deal?
Removing the check from the configuration: "Member Privacy Hide all member information from non-members and search engines" will allow:
- Everyone to see the full description in offers and requests, sanitized to remove email addresses and phone numbers. (This cannot be changed by a member.)
- Everyone to see the member's initials for each offer or request. (This cannot be changed by a member.)
- Everyone to see the members listed in Timebanker's Talents, protected by each member's privacy settings. (This cannot be changed by a member.)
- Members to expose their profile information to Everyone. (Profile page, picture, primary email address, street address, biography, first name, last name, and any other contact information.)
Where to find this setting
To find the configuration, go to:
- The "gear" menu icon
- Section "Configure"
- "General" menu item
- "Features" tab
- Member Privacy
See also : General configuration